Chia Seed Jam
This is my go-to jam recipe. It’s quick, easy, tasty and bursting with all kinds of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, protein, iron, calcium and magnesium. All you have to do is reduce down your bag of frozen fruit or punnet of fresh berries, add chia seeds and sweetener and wait for it to thicken up.
Chia Seed Jam
- 600 g fresh or frozen fruit Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries ...
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or preferred vegan sweetener Experiment with this - you might want it add more or less
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional but tastes great with it
- Combine the fruit and the maple syrup in a medium pan and simmer over a medium heat. Make sure you stir it frequently.
- Reduce heat to simmer and mash the fruit with a potato masher.
- Stir in the chia seeds until combined and continue to simmer until it thickens - which will be around 15 minutes.
- Once it looks like jam - thick and lovely - remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence if using. It will be very hot so be careful when tipping jam into a container to cool. It will thicken even more as it cools. Add more syrup to taste if required.
- This jam should keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. However, if you're anything like me - it won't last that long. Slaver it on toast, in scones, dollop in porridge … eat by the spoonful! ENJOY x