In this fabulous burger recipe, I use a chia egg to firm the patties and oats instead of breadcrumbs. I figure that if I’m serving the burger in bread bun, then I don’t need more bread in the actual burger! So I whizz up oats until they resemble breadcrumbs instead – nice, eh?! You can also use just the one type of bean but I like the squishiness of white cannellini or butter beans!
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic or 1/4 tsp of garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder or flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 400g can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 400g can of cannellini or butter beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 50g oats (or breadcrumbs) If using oats, whizz them in a blender so they resemble breadcrumbs
- 1 good pinch salt to taste
- good pinch pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- First things first, lets make the chia egg. In a bowl, mix the tbsp chia seeds with the 3 tbsp of water and leave to 'gel' while you prep the burger.
- Warm the oil in a pan and fry the onion on a medium heat until soft. Add the garlic, chili and cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the drained can of kidney and cannellini beans to the pan and give it all a good stir.
- Use a potato masher to mash up the beans. Leave some intact so there's some texture.
- Add the tomato puree and give it a good stir.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Add the plain flour and the finely milled oats (the oats are my alternative to breadcrumbs)
- Add the salt and pepper to your taste
- Stir in the chia 'egg'. If you find it's not moist enough, don't be scared to add a wee bit more water. Give it a good mix.
- I then divide the mixture into four equal amounts - usually using a spoon and while the mixture's still in the pan.
- I scoop it out and with damp hands form the mixture into four patties
- Place them on a parchment lined plate or baking sheet (whichever will fit in your fridge) and place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes minimum.
- Heat the oil in a pan and when warm, carefully add the burgers and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Drain on kitchen paper if you need to and serve in a bun with salad and whatever else takes your fancy! Enjoy!